For mass struggle to end national oppression and capitalism
Mass protests are taking place across the Middle East and around the world against the ongoing Israeli army attacks against the defenceless and semi-starved Gaza population. Below is the text of a leaflet distributed by Socialist Party (England and Wales CWI) members on demonstrations in Britain in protest.
More commentary and analysis will follow on socialistworld.net
Slaughter in Gaza
Israel’s government’s rule has been a chain of scandals and failures. Now they are trying to save themselves from defeat in February’s elections, by means of a wholesale slaughter of Palestinians in this long planned attack.
Bush, and Obama, have refused to force Israel to immediately halt the carnage. Bush used similar brutality in their occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan. While Miliband makes feeble calls for a cease-fire, the White House has even blamed Hamas for the attacks and condemned the Hamas rocket fire into Israeli cities.
Mahmoud Abbas, Mubarak and the Arab league leaders condemn the massacre. But they were complicit in Israel’s starving of the Gaza’s 1.5 million inhabitants by Israel’s 16-month siege. These regimes willingly carry out the dictates of imperialism. Mubarak’s authoritarian regime in Egypt collaborated in the imprisonment of the Palestinians by preventing free movement of goods and people on Egypt’s border with Gaza. Mubarak even met Israel’s foreign minister Livni on the day before Israel’s attack.
Hamas’ rocket fire cannot defeat the Israeli state’s oppression of Palestinians. The Israeli ruling class do not care about the working class inhabitants of the towns bordering Gaza, but uses their plight to justify the war. The Israeli government does not defend the real interests of ordinary Israelis, rather it exploits their fears.
Every gain made in the history of Palestinian struggle has been the result of active mobilisation of the masses. Tragically for Palestinians neither Hamas, nor Fatah, nor the Arab regimes, have a strategy to defend the masses and stop the Israeli state’s slaughter.
- For an immediate end to Israeli attacks. For and immediate end to the siege.
- For escalation of demonstrations and protests against the war, in the Middle East and internationally.
- No trust in the world powers or the United Nations. Organize the masses in self-defense. Mass action by Palestinians and Egyptians to break the siege that imprisons Gaza and appeal for support from the working masses internationally, especially in the Middle East, including Israel.
- For united struggles by the workers and poor to overthrow all the capitalist regimes in the Arab states and in Israel. For worker’s governments across the Middle East which can end the cycle of violence by resolving the contentious issues in the interests of working people and start to create a society run for the needs of ordinary people.
- For a Socialist Palestine and a Socialist Israel as part of a Socialist Federation of the Middle East.